Trico Homes offers a unique team environment with competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package.
Senior Estimator Multi Family
Date Posted: 9 Jan 2017
Trico Homes is looking for the sharpest tool in the shed. Join us today.
"Trico Homes is made up of an incredible team of people who are dedicated to building outstanding homes and communities in and surrounding Calgary, AB. We are continually recognized as one of Canada's 50 Best Managed Companies and one of the Best Workplaces in Canada. And that shows clearly in our culture. We emphasize work-life balance and focus on learning and development, innovation and fun at work. Trico Homes is dedicated to equality and inclusion in the workplace and we invite you to join our team today to help us build on our success, and build your career at one of Canada's best places to work!"
Our success is your success. Want to join our team?
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Estimator Multi Family
This is a full time, permanent position.
The Estimator will be responsible for the accurate, timely preparation of conceptual and full-cost estimates and cost advices for projects, including materials and labour. He or she will be tasked with preparing specifications, bidding documents, quote analysis, trade contracts, cost control and cost-to-complete reports. This individual's accuracy is critical to the profitability of the business, as under-estimates may cause significant financial losses and over-estimates may reduce our competitiveness. Other duties will be assigned as necessary.
- Prepare materials, labour and equipment cost estimations necessary to successfully carry out a construction project according to proposals, plans, and specifications.
- Provide cost input in the planning stage of projects with regards to construction costs of base and optional features.
- Prepare bidding documents.
- Prepare bid invitation to trades and organize bidding lists. Maintain bidding websites and portals for bidders to obtain all the necessary information to prepare their bids.
- Clarify trades queries.
- Analyze quotations, negotiate contract prices and terms, coordinate and finalize selection of trades.
- Prepare trade contracts and issue PO's.
- Evaluate and recommend allowances for indirect costs, design unknowns, escalation and contingency.
- Prepare base budget templates and issue base budget to the estimating system.
- Prepare Cost-to-complete reports to reflect current project costs, profit margins and outstanding payments
- Prepare progress claims.
- Maintain files of working documents as back-up for estimate figures, including current (accurate) information on prices from suppliers through direct contact, sales brochures, price lists etc.
- Prepare templates on interior packages and upgrade options.
- Review approved ETC/Addenda prior to releasing to site/trades.
- Monitor and keep record of all site changes and changes by architect/ site instructions.
- Work with construction schedule, raise alarm to any late ETC/Addendum involving structural changes or changes with additional costs incur.
- Invoice approval.
- Cost control.
- Explore new technology and products in construction industry and determine the cost implications and feasibility of application.
- Review working drawings. Address any missing or incorrect items.
- Coordinate with consultants to obtain necessary drawings, reports and project information.
- Job shadowing with Production Coordinator.
- Prepare and maintain a list of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors.
- Support other department personnel as required which may include preparing estimates for other disciplines; checking brochure compliance to specifications; providing information to lawyers for condo documents drafting etc.
- Perform additional assignments per supervisor's direction.
Qualifications and Experience:
- 10 plus years of experience in estimating with a minimum of 3 years of Multi-family hands-on experience in:
- Quote analysis, negotiation and providing recommendation
- Cost estimating - conceptual, preliminary and detailed
- Cost control including preparing cost-to-complete reports
- Preparing progress claim
- Specification writing
- Lump Sum Trade contract drafting and execution
- Familiar with DP and BP City processes
- Coordinating with architects, engineers and consultants
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Building, Construction Management, Architectural Technologies, Quantity Surveying or equivalent from a recognized technical institute.
- Designation of PQS and/or CEC is an asset.
- Ability to interpret and provide comments on architectural, structural, mechanical blueprints and specifications, from technical and costing points of view.
- Mathematical skills and analytical skills necessary to do material and labour estimates and cost-to-complete reports.
- Excel at intermediate level and excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Proficient with professional estimating programs such Timberline and/ or Microsoft Office AX - Home Builder One.
- Knowledge of condo documents and condo management will be an asset.
- Ability to multi task, have flexibility to switch between projects and work to deadlines.
- Effective verbal and listening communication skills.
- Capacity to train and coach other peer members in the department.
- Time management skills.
- Proactive in ensuring job knowledge is current.
- Respect diversity - treat others with respect.
- Ability to work in a team environment with a minimum of supervision.
- Receptive to change - can adapt to changing circumstances.
Closing Date: Until suitable candidate is found.
If you are seeking an exciting challenge in a workplace where excellence is valued, please send your resume by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We appreciate the interest of all candidates, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that a security clearance will be part of the recruitment process.